What a rough week last week was. As of Sunday morning, we have a third water heater in 10 days. I’m not sure if the second one was defective, or if the apartment complex just really doesn’t know what they’re doing… regardless, we’ve had no hot water and no power on and off for the past week and it really took a toll on us. On top of that, i’m not feeling well AT ALL, so yesterday when I finally got the energy to go to the grocery store, I knew I wanted to do something special.
Now, we shop on a pretty strict budget. I buy what is on sale, and find what I can make with it. I love finding recipes online and making them work with what i’ve been able to pick up at the store! Last night, chicken breast tenderloins were half price, and I found a recipe on Pinterest for Cheddar Baked Chicken… so, a few modifications later, we had dinner as well as enough leftovers to eat for lunch the next few days! I looked up a few recipes online, made my own little tweaks, and this is what we ended up with:
Cheddar Baked Chicken
1/2 cup flour
1tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon milk
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup crushed ritz crackers
1/2 cup crushed goldfish crackers
1/4 cup melted butter
2 tbsp melted butter
1-2 lbs chicken breast tenderloins
1) In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well
2) In another bowl, whisk together the egg and milk
3) In a third bowl (I used a plate, and made a mess) mix together the crushed ritz crackers, crushed goldfish crackers, and the shredded cheddar cheese.
4) Coat the bottom of a baking pan with the 1/4 cup of melted butter, then place the chicken in the pan after the following process: Coat in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, then press firmly in the cheese mixture. Do this with each individual piece of chicken.
5) When the pan is full, drizzle the 2 tbsp of melted butter on top.
6) Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes
So that’s it! It’s simple and delicious, and served with rice and a salad, made for a perfect meal to kick off our week on a better foot. P.S. – this meal is man approved- Fiance loved it!